World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Residenz

Article Id: WHEBN0002043781
Reproduction Date:

Title: Residenz  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Plön Castle, Principality of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, Aula regia, Brunswick Palace, Eutin Castle
Collection: Palaces in Germany, Royal Residences in Germany
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Residenz

Residenz is a formal but otherwise obsolete German word for "place of living". It is in particular used to denote the building or town where a sovereign ruler resided, therefore also carrying a similar meaning as the modern expressions seat of government or capital. As there were many sovereign (imperially immediate) rulers in the Holy Roman Empire, ranking from Lord (Herr) to prince elector and king, there are many towns, palaces, and castles in this territory which formerly were a Residenz and are partially still so referred to today. The former residenz status of a town is frequently reflected by the architecture of its center. During the baroque period especially, many prestigious buildings were erected, sometimes even new towns were founded. Today former residenz towns mostly still serve as cultural and administrative centers.

Examples of buildings/towns:

The new Würzburg residenz under construction

Residenzes newly founded in the baroque era:

  • Louis William, Margrave of Baden-Baden, general field marshal of the Holy Roman Empire, nicknamed Turk Louis for his successes against the Turks and now in possession of a great war prize, in 1699 altered plans for a hunting lodge being built near the village of Rastatt since 1697. Aiming to become prince elector, he spent 12 million guilders on Rastatt Castle. The village grew accordingly and was incorporated as a town in 1700. Louis William lived at the castle from 1702, and the court followed from Baden in 1705.
  • Eberhard Louis, Duke of Württemberg had similarly in 1704 begun reconstruction of a destroyed hunting lodge north of his residenz of Stuttgart. In 1705 he named the site Ludwigsburg. Plans were enlarged in 1706 and again in 1715, resulting in Ludwigsburg Palace. In 1709, Eberhard Louis moved to the new castle. Beginning in the same year a planned community was constructed near the palace which was incorporated as town in 1718. Ludwigsburg officially became Württemberg residenz in 1718. After Eberhard Louis' death in 1733 his successor took the court back to Stuttgart. Once again from 1764 to 1775, Charles Eugene, in quarrelling with the duchy's estates over yet another residenz, the Stuttgart New Palace, moved the residenz to Ludwigsburg.
  • In 1715, Margrave Charles William of Baden-Durlach chose to build a new residenz in a space in the woods he called Karlsruhe ("Charles' rest"). From 1717 on, Karlsruhe was residenz of Baden-Durlach, later of the grand duchy of Baden, and in 1719 the administration had been completely transferred from Durlach. After 1952, when the states of Baden and Württemberg were merged into Baden-Württemberg, the Württemberg capital Stuttgart becoming capital of the new state, Karlsruhe not only remained capital of a government district of the same name, but in compensation became "Residenz des Rechts" (residence of law) for all Germany, seating the Federal Constitutional Court and the Federal Court of Justice.
  • Charles III Philip, Elector Palatine since 1716, in 1720 transferred his residenz from Heidelberg to Mannheim, a fort at the confluence of the rivers Rhine and Neckar which had been destroyed in the war and was now being reconstructed. Construction of Mannheim Palace began in 1720 in place of the former citadel.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.