San Clemente Abbey

The Abbey of San Clemente a Casauria is an abbey in the territory of Castiglione a Casauria, in the province of Pescara, Abruzzo, central Italy.

History

The abbey was founded in 871 by Louis II, grand-grandson of Charlemagne, after a vow made during his imprisonment in the Duchy of Benevento. Initially entitled to the Holy Trinity, it was dedicated to St. Clement when the latter's remain were brought here in 872.

In its history the abbey was plundered several times: by the Saracens in 920 and repeatedly by the Norman count Malmozzetto between 1076 and 1097. After this destructive episode, the Benedictine abbot Grimoald promoted the rebuilding of the church, which was reconsecrated in 1105. However, the works ended only in the late 12th century under abbot Leonate (1152-82, cardinal from 1170).

Architecture

The façade is precede by a portico with columns and capitals; under it are three portals, the middle and larger one having a lintel and a tympanum with sculpted stories of St. Clement and of the abbey's history. In the centre of the tympanum is the figure of San Clemente in his Papal clothing, with Saints Fabio and Cornelius at his right side and Abbot Leonate, to his left, presenting a model of the rebuilt abbey to its patron.

The bronze doors were made (in 1191) when Abbot Iole was in charge and are divided into 72 rectangular panels depicting various images such as crosses, abbots, rose patterns and 14 castles (and their estates) that were subjects of the Abbey.

Inside the (now deconsecrated) church there are a beautiful paschal candelabrum and a massive ambo dating from the 11 hundreds.

The configuration is a nave and two aisles with semicircular apse. The high altar is a Palaeo-Christian sepulchre, surmounted by a 14th-century ciborium. Next to this is a large marble casket containing the relics of San Clemente.

In the crypt two apse railings divide the primitive church from that rebuilt the Benedictines in the 12th century.

See also

References

Signage and descriptive material at the site.

External links

  • (Italian) (English) Abbazia di San Clemente a Casauria Web Site
  • San Clemente a Casauria Pages in Paradoxplace

Coordinates: 42°14′02″N 13°55′48″E / 42.23389°N 13.93000°E / 42.23389; 13.93000

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.