World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Santa Maria Incoronata, Milan

Article Id: WHEBN0037052242
Reproduction Date:

Title: Santa Maria Incoronata, Milan  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Santa Maria della Pace, Milan, Santa Maria al Paradiso (Milan), Palazzo Mezzanotte, San Nicolao (Milan), Garegnano Charterhouse
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Santa Maria Incoronata, Milan

Church of the Coronation of Saint Mary
(Chiesa di Santa Maria Incoronata)
Double façade of the church.
Basic information
Location Milan, Italy
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Milan
Year consecrated 14th century
Status Active
Architectural description
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Late Gothic
Groundbreaking 1450
Completed 1460

Santa Maria Incoronata is a church in Milan, Italy. It was completed in 1460.

Artworks in the interior include a painting by Bergognone, Christ under the Grill, the tomb of Giovanni Bossi, attributed to Bambaia, a Baroque fresco cycle of the Life of St. Nicholas of Tolentino by Ciro Ferrari, and the Biblioteca Umanistica ("Humanist Library", 15th century). The latter has three naves divided by granite columns, with frescoes of the Magisteri Sacrae Pagines commissioned by the Augustinians when they acquired the building. OF the original gardens and cloisters, only one of the latter has survived.

Grave for Matteo Bossi (died 1500) and his wife Polissena Bossi

History

The church is formed by two paired buildings. The oldest one existed as early as the communal age and was dedicated to St. Maria di Gargnano. Starting from 1400, a new convent was built annexed to it for the Augustinians, who had the structure restored in late Gothic style. The new church was completed in the same age of the election of Francesco Sforza as duke of Milan 1451, and received the current name (meaning "St. Mary Crowned") in the occasion. In 1460 the duke's wife, Bianca Maria Visconti, commissione the construction of a new church next to the oldest one, identical and connected to it, in order to create a single, larger edifice.

The church was modified in 1654 and 1827, but was restored to the medieval appearance in the early 19th century.

External links

  • Page at Milanodabere.it (Italian)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.