World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Santa Maria del Carmine, Pavia

Article Id: WHEBN0020649912
Reproduction Date:

Title: Santa Maria del Carmine, Pavia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pavia, Santa Maria, Santa Maria del Carmine
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Santa Maria del Carmine, Pavia

Santa Maria del Carmine is a church in Pavia, Lombardy, northern Italy, considered amongst the best examples of Lombard Gothic architecture. It was begun in 1374 by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, on a project attributed to Bernardo da Venezia. The construction followed a slow pace, and was restarted in 1432, being finished in 1461.

Exterior

The church has an imposing façade commanding the square with the same name; the slender forms betray a residual Romanesque influence, although the decorations are undoubutably of Lombard Gothic style. The façade is divided into five vertical compartments by six pilasters surmounted by spires. The three central sectors have a portal each, remade by Giuseppe Marchesi in 1854. Over the portals are four large ogival mullioned windows and an elaborated rose window in brickwork.

The bell tower, dating to c. 1450, has numerous friezes and a triple mullioned window with marble columns.

Interior

The interior is characterized by an inspiring penumbra, and is on the Latin cross plan with a nave and numerous lateral chapels with frescoes and paintings. The most important are:

  • 2nd Chapel, with a fresco by Vincenzo Foppa (1462)
  • 4th Chapel, with a canvas of the Guardian Angel by Sebastiano Ricci (1694)
  • 5th Chapel, with an Assumption by Bernardo Cane
  • 6th Chapel, with an altarpiece of St. Anne and the Wool Making Craft (by Guglielmo Caccia)
  • 7th Chapel, housing a Gothic altarpiece donated by Pius X, and 15th century polyptych with Madonna and Saints (by Bernardino da Cotignola).

In the transept are also precious 15th-century frescoes, while the sacristy (1576) has façade with Baroque stuccoes. Also notable is the Gothic tabernacle (1449) and the marble altar of the presbytery.

Coordinates: 45°11′14″N 9°9′11″E / 45.18722°N 9.15306°E / 45.18722; 9.15306

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.