World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Santa Maria di Canepanova

Article Id: WHEBN0020650184
Reproduction Date:

Title: Santa Maria di Canepanova  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pavia, Santa Maria, Giovanni Antonio Amadeo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Santa Maria di Canepanova

Santa Maria di Canepanova is a Renaissance church in Pavia, Lombardy, northern Italy. It was designed by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo.

The church was built from 1500 to 1507, when Amadeo was at the climax of his fame. Amadeo had previously built the tambour of the Milan Cathedral and had been invited by Cardinal Ascanio Sforza, brother of Duke Ludovico Sforza, to lead the works in the Pavia Cathedral.

For Santa Maria di Canepanova, Amadeo adopted the so-called ad quadratum style, influenced by his master Guiniforte Solari, and which had already been used in the Cappella Colleoni in Bergamo. The church is centrally planned and has a cubic form, over which rises an octagonal tambour with four small bell towers at the corners. The interior is decorated by Camillo Procaccini with works depicting the Woman of the Bible.

Coordinates: 45°11′8″N 9°9′32.5″E / 45.18556°N 9.159028°E / 45.18556; 9.159028


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.