World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Slovak Academy of Sciences

Article Id: WHEBN0000962714
Reproduction Date:

Title: Slovak Academy of Sciences  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Research Centre for Deep Drilling, International Council for Science, János Esterházy, New drilling technologies, PERCS
Collection: Academic Publishing, Academies of Sciences, Research Institutes in Slovakia
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Slovak Academy of Sciences

Slovak Academy of Sciences
Logo of SAV
Formation July 2, 1942 (1942-07-02)
Type Governmental organisation
Purpose Fundamental scientific research
Headquarters

Štefánikova 49

814 38, Bratislava 1
Slovak
Jaromír Pastorek
Snem Slovenskej akadémie vied
Website .sk.savwww

The Slovak Academy of Sciences (in Slovak Slovenská akadémia vied, or SAV) is the main scientific and research institution in Slovakia fostering basic and strategic basic research. It was founded in 1942, closed after WWII, and then reestablished in 1953.

Its primary mission is to acquire new knowledge of nature, society and technology, specifically targeted at ensuring scientific basis for the advancement in Slovakia. It comprises 58 scientific institutes and 13 ancillary institutions. The SAV edits 44 scientific and scholarly journals and 100 - 120 monographs per annum. Moreover, 41 scientific and scholarly societies, which associate scientists and scholars from various disciplines, are affiliated with SAV.

History

The commencement of modern science in the 16th and 17th centuries resulted in the establishment of new institutions that supplemented classical universities and created a broader forum for fostering science communication. These institutions, which were built on the ancient Platonic traditions, became the starting point of our present day academies of sciences.

Matej Bel’s project, submitted in 1735, marked the first attempt to establish such an institution on the territory of modern Slovakia. He suggested the founding of a Societas litteraria in Bratislava. His project, however, never materialized. In 1792, upon a proposal issued by a group of patriotic philologists, Slovenske ucene tovarisstvo (The Slovak Learned Society) was founded. In 1844, under the impetus of Ludovit Stur, the nationwide cultural association, Tatrin, was instituted.

A few years later, in 1892, Andrej Kmet published in Narodne noviny (National News) his appeal to establish Slovensky vedecky spolok [Slovak Scientific Association], or Slovenska akademia vied [Slovak Academy of Sciences]. This idea led to the formation of Muzealna spolocnost slovenska [Slovak Association of Museums]. On 2 July 1942 the Parliament of the Slovak Republic instituted Slovenska akademia vied a umeni [Slovak Academy of Sciences and Arts], which developed into a representative and, concomitantly, working institution fostering scientific scholarly research. During the post-World War II period the SAVU was transformed into Slovenska akademia vied -Slovak Academy of Sciences (hereinafter the Academy or the SAS as an abbreviation). Its establishment was legally grounded in an act passed by the Slovak National Council on 18 June 1953. The arrangement of its operation was regulated further by appurtenant legislation.

17 November 1989 introduced significant changes at the Academy. Since then, far–reaching transformations enabled the Academy to become similar to counterpart organisations of science and research in advanced countries abroad.

Present

Service mark of the Slovak Academy of Sciences (SAV)

Nowadays, the Slovak Academy of Sciences successfully presents itself nationally and worldwide through the results in basic and applied research. It consists of 69 organisations, of which 48 are budgetary and 21 are subsidised. The Academy publishes 57 scientific and professional journals and 8 yearbooks. There are 51 scientific and scholarly associations, societies and unions affiliated with the SAS, which operate in accordance with the Law on Civic Associations. The Assembly, the Scientific Council, and the Presidium are the Academy’s self-governing bodies.

The Assembly is the supreme self-governing Academy’s body. Its members are elected by the academic staff of the respective scientific organisations from the academic staff of the SAS. The Scientific Council is a self-governing body of the Academy that deliberates upon scientific and conceptional tasks. It is composed of the President of the Academy and other members of the Academy’s Presidium, representatives delegated from the higher education sector, and a representative from the sector of business enterprising engaged in scientific research and development. Membership of the Scientific Council also includes representatives from organisations and institutions engaged in scientific research and development outside the Academy, appointed by the Chair of the Academy’s Assembly on the basis of elections of the members in the Scientific Council held by the Assembly.

The Presidium is an executive self-governing body of the Academy. The Presidium is composed of the President, vice-presidents, Scientific Secretary, and other members of the Presidium, appointed by the Chair of the Academy’s Assembly on the basis of the electoral returns for the Academy’s Presidium. The Academy is presided by the President, who is appointed and recalled by the President of the Slovak Republic. The Presidium of the Academy coordinates and supervises the activities of the Academy and the performance of its organisations via the sections for the respective groups of science branches.

External links

  • Slovak Academy of Sciences official site
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.