World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St Nicholas' Priory

Article Id: WHEBN0022847639
Reproduction Date:

Title: St Nicholas' Priory  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Exeter Conspiracy
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

St Nicholas' Priory

Benedictine Priory of St Nicholas

St Nicholas Priory, Exeter

Devon and the United Kingdom
Basic information
Location Exeter, England
Geographic coordinates 50°43′19″N 3°32′06″W / 50.721818°N 3.534991°W / 50.721818; -3.534991Coordinates: 50°43′19″N 3°32′06″W / 50.721818°N 3.534991°W / 50.721818; -3.534991

Affiliation Roman Catholic
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Unused
Status Museum
Architectural description
Architectural type Priory
Completed 1087

The Benedictine Priory of St Nicholas or just St Nicholas Priory was a Benedictine monastery founded in Exeter, England, in 1087. At the dissolution of the monasteries the church and chapter house range were pulled down but the domestic buildings were left intact. Parts of the south and west ranges of the monastery survive with the south range now being a museum owned by Exeter City Council.


In 1068 William the Conqueror laid siege to Exeter, where the mother of Harold Godwinson, whom he had just defeated in the Battle of Hastings, was living. After her hasty departure William gave the church of St Olave at Exeter to Battle Abbey. Monks, who were sent from Battle to administer the church and its possessions, set about building a monastery with its own church, which was dedicated to Saint Nicholas in 1087. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Priory gathered gifts of land and property and new monastic buildings were erected as funds permitted. Hospitality was built into the monastic rule and a guest house or wing was essential within a monastery. The monks provided hospitality for pilgrims and other travellers and accommodation for important guests.

The Priory had a very important and lively life within the city until the dissolution of the smaller monasteries by King Henry VIII in 1536, when the monks were pensioned off and their church and cloisters were pulled down. The remaining buildings and precinct were then sold by the Crown. Between 1575 and 1602 the building was turned into an impressive Elizabethan town house. After that the building became subdivided into houses and businesses. Between 1820 and 1913 the Priory was divided into five lots of premises and all were given entrance doors and new windows. Exeter Corporation bought the Priory in 1913 in order to restore it to show its original monastic architecture. It was opened to the public as a small museum three years later. Repairs and reinterpretation were undertaken in 2007 with funding from the HLF and Renaissance. During the 2007 development, the Priory was partially restored to how it looked when it was a wealthy Tudor merchants house with methods used at the same period 500 years ago.[1] Then, at the beginning of 2009, the priory had further maintenance, which was carried out by Sub-Lime Renovations.[2]


As of 1916, the priory has been used as a museum. It is currently furnished as an Elizabethan town house, home of the wealthy Hurst family, in 1602. It has replica furniture and it is painted in the bright colours used in the Elizabethan period. It gives an insight into Tudor life from Exeter's collection of artefacts. It has been enhanced with modern amenities such as toilets and a gift shop. It is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and from Monday to Saturday during the British school holidays.[3]


External links

  • St Nicholas Priory, Exeter City Council website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.