World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St Paul’s Cathedral, Dundee

Article Id: WHEBN0005494382
Reproduction Date:

Title: St Paul’s Cathedral, Dundee  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Diocese of Brechin (Episcopal), Miriam Byrne, City Centre, Dundee
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St Paul’s Cathedral, Dundee

Cathedral Church of Saint Paul
Denomination Scottish Episcopal Church
Churchmanship Broad Church
Website Dedication St Paul
Administration
Diocese Brechin
Clergy
Bishop(s) Right Rev Dr Nigel Peyton
Provost Very Rev Jeremy Auld

St Paul's Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral in the city of Dundee, Scotland. It is the Cathedral and administrative centre of the Diocese of Brechin in the Scottish Episcopal Church.

Castle

It is built on the site of the medieval seat of power in the area, the castle which formerly stood on the site had been besieged by the armies of William Wallace, Andrew de Moray and later by Robert the Bruce during the Wars of Scottish Independence. The stronghold was destroyed during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. A small portion of the castle still remains within the Cathedral grounds. During the building of modern offices on Exchange Street behind the cathedral workers discovered remains of the castle in the form of a crypt-like structure underground. It is thought that the site may have borne fortifications from as far back as 80 AD.

Church

In 1847, Alexander Penrose Forbes was elected new Bishop of Brechin and chose to make Dundee his permanent residence.

At the time of Bishop Forbes' arrival, St Paul's Chapel met in rooms in nearby Castle Street, which Forbes considered to be dreary and "unworthy of the worship of the Almighty". Thus, he "urged his people to take on the holy work of building, to the glory of God, a stately church", a place which would offer refuge to the many poor that lived in the surrounding tenements.

The foundation stone of the Cathedral was laid on 21 July 1853 and it was completed in 1855.[1] It was designed by George Gilbert Scott and is in the style of the Middle or Decorated period of Gothic architecture.

The total cost of the building exceeded £14,000 and it took the congregation 10 years after its completion to pay off all the debts incurred. The church was dedicated on All Saints Day, 1 November 1865.[1]

St Paul's was raised to Cathedral status in 1905 and is now a category A listed building.

References

External links

  • St. Paul's Cathedral, Dundee

Coordinates: 56°27′40″N 2°58′5″W / 56.46111°N 2.96806°W / 56.46111; -2.96806

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.