World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Swedish Ingria

Article Id: WHEBN0000695715
Reproduction Date:

Title: Swedish Ingria  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Charles XII of Sweden, Carl Gustaf Armfeldt, Nyenschantz, Otto Vellingk, 1721 disestablishments
Collection: 1721 Disestablishments, Dominions of Sweden, Ingria, States and Territories Established in 1583
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Swedish Ingria

Swedish Ingria
Svenska Ingermanland
Dominion of the Swedish Empire

1583-1595
1617-1721

Flag Coat of arms
Baltic provinces of Swedish Empire in the 17th century.
Capital Narva
Languages Swedish, Finnish, Ingrian, Votian
Government Dominion
King of Sweden
 •  1568–92 John III
 •  1592–99 Sigismund
 •  1611–32 Gustav II Adolf
 •  1720–51 Frederick I
Governor-General
 •  1617– Carl Carlsson Gyllenhielm
 •  1659–1673 Simon Grundel-Helmfelt
History
 •  Conquered by Sweden 1583
 •  Ceded to Russia 18 May 1595
 •  Treaty of Stolbovo 17 February 1617
 •  Great Northern War 1700–21
 •  Conquered by Russia 1708
 •  Treaty of Nystad 30 August 1721
Population
 •  1644 est. 15,000 

Swedish Ingria (Swedish: Svenska Ingermanland, means No One's Land) was a dominion of the Swedish Empire from 1583 to 1595 and then again from 1617 to 1721, when it was ceded to the Russian Empire in the Treaty of Nystad.

Ingria was ceded to Sweden by Russia together with the County of Kexholm by the Treaty of Stolbovo in 1617. It consisted of the area along the basin of the river Neva, between the Gulf of Finland, the Narva River, Lake Peipsi in South-West, and Lake Ladoga in North-East. Bordering to Kexholm and Swedish Karelia by the Sestra (Rajajoki /Systerbäck) river in North-West.

Ingria fell to Sweden in the 1580s, was returned to Russia by the Treaty of Teusina (1595), and again ceded to Sweden in the Treaty of Stolbovo (1617). Sweden's interest of the territory was strategic: as a buffer zone against Russian attacks on the Karelian Isthmus and present-day Finland; and Russian trade was to pass through Swedish territory. In addition, Ingria became the destination for Swedish deportees.

Ingria remained sparsely populated. In 1664 the population was counted to 15,000. Swedish attempts to introduce Lutheranism were met with repugnance by the Orthodox peasantry obliged to attend Lutheran services; converts were promised grants and tax reductions, but Lutheran gains were most of all due to voluntary resettlements from Savonia and Karelia. Ingria was enfeoffed to noble military and state officials, bringing their own Lutheran servants and workmen.

Nyen became the trading centre of Ingria, and in 1642 was made its administrative centre. In 1656 a Russian attack badly damaged the town, and the administrative centre was moved to Narva in neighbouring Swedish Estonia.[1]

In the early 18th century the area was reconquered by Russia in the Great Northern War after a century in Swedish possession. On the place of the Swedish town Nyen or in Finnish Nevanlinna (Castle of Neva) close to the Neva river's estuary at the Gulf of Finland, the new Russian capital Saint Petersburg was founded in 1703.

Governors-General

Stadtholder
Ingrian Governors (Narva, Ivangorod, Jaama, Koporje and Nöteborg)
Ingrian and Livonian Governors-General
Ingrian and county of Kexholm Governors-General
Ingrian Governors
Ingrian Governors-General

See also

References

  1. ^ Kurs, Ott (1994). Ingria: The broken landbridge between Estonia and Finland. GeoJournal 33.1, 107-113.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.