World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tytuvėnai

Article Id: WHEBN0006511336
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tytuvėnai  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Monika Povilaitytė, Kelmė District Municipality, Šiauliai County, Šušvė, Yaakov Kamenetsky
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tytuvėnai

Tytuvėnai (   , Polish: Cytowiany ) is a city in the Kelmė district municipality, Lithuania. It is located east of Kelmė. It is known for its Bernardine monastery.

The first church in the town was built in 1555. The construction of the monastery was initiated by Andrius Valavicius and his family, who returned to the Catholic faith after a wave of Counter-Reformation. The construction plans were prepared in 1614, but the construction started only after the death of Andrius Valavicius in 1618. Works were sponsored by Jeronimas Valavicius, the treasurer of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1633 the main part of monastery and church was completed. In 1772–1780 a courtyard was built, in which Stations of the Cross were placed.

Rabbi Yaakov Kamenetsky was the rabbi of the Tytvėnai Jewish community from 1926 until 1937, when he emigrated to America.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.