Urzedow

Urzędów
Village
Urzędów
Urzędów

Coordinates: 50°59′N 22°9′E / 50.983°N 22.150°E / 50.983; 22.150

Country  Poland
Voivodeship Lublin
County Kraśnik
Gmina Urzędów
Population 1,060
Website http://www.urzedow.pl

Urzędów [uˈʐɛnduf] is a village in Kraśnik County, Lublin Voivodeship, in eastern Poland.[1] It is the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Urzędów. It lies in Lesser Poland, approximately 9 kilometres (6 mi) north-west of Kraśnik and 42 km (26 mi) south-west of the regional capital Lublin. The village has a population of 1,060, and in 1405-1869 it had a status of a town.

Urzędów lies on the Urzędówka river, among the hills of the Lublin Upland. In the past, it used to be one of major urban centers of eastern Lesser Poland, placed on a merchant road from Kraków to Lublin, and further on to Lithuania. The town was granted Magdeburg rights in 1405 by King Władysław Jagiełło, replacing two villages - Zaborzyce and Skorczyce, which had existed in the location of Urzędów. In 1474 it became the seat of a county in Lublin Voivodeship, which in the same year was carved out of Sandomierz Voivodeship. Urzędów remained an important urban center of the area until the mid-17th century, when, after long - lasting conflicts with the Cossacks and the Swedes (see Deluge, Khmelnytsky Uprising) it was burned. Urzędów lost its town privileges in 1869, never to recover them.

Jewish History

During the reign of King Augustus III (1733-1763) people living in Urzędów repeatedly complained to him about being oppressed by the Jews. In 1791 they demanded that starost Kazimierz Rzewuski should expel the remaining Jews from the town. In 1781 there were as few as 11 Jews in Urzędów (0.5% of the entire population). It was not until after 1862 that Urzędów started to receive a steady influx of the Jews. At the end of the 19th century the Urzędów kehilla was formed. Though small, the Jewish community was active in social and economic life of the town. In 1889 there were 3.017 residents in Urzędów, out of whom 242 (8%) were Jewish. In 1900 it was inhabited by 3,620 people, including 303 Jews (8.37%).

Before the outbreak of World War II about 40 Jewish families lived in Urzędów (i.e. about 300 people). During the war, on September 23, 1939, German occupation authorities ordered that Jewish children should be banned from state schools. Since January 5, 1940 the Jews had to wear a band with the Star of David on their left arms. In October 1942 Jews from Urzędów were transported to the Kraśnik ghetto and Budzyń camp, which were just stopovers on their grim way to Bełżec. During the Nazi occupation 300 Jews from Urzędów were killed.[2] The Jewish cemetery was plundered during World War II and afterwards. In 1993, local inhabitants arranged a matzevot-shaped plaque in memory of Urzędów Jews murdered by the Nazis from 1939-1944. During August, 2012, the monument to Holocaust victims scribbled with paint, allegedly as an anti-Semite act, alongside with rubbish and smashed alcohol bottles inside the cemetery.[3]

References

Coordinates: 50°59′N 22°9′E / 50.983°N 22.150°E / 50.983; 22.150

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.