World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Usedom (town)

Article Id: WHEBN0004637804
Reproduction Date:

Title: Usedom (town)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Duchy of Pomerania, Usedom, Conversion of Pomerania, Szczecin Lagoon, Germany/New article announcements/April 2006
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Usedom (town)

Usedom
Church and town hall of Usedom City
Church and town hall of Usedom City
Coat of arms of Usedom
Coat of arms
Usedom  is located in Germany
Usedom
Usedom
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
District Vorpommern-Greifswald
Municipal assoc. Usedom-Süd
Government
 • Mayor Jochen Storrer
Area
 • Total 38.57 km2 (14.89 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 1,803
 • Density 47/km2 (120/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 17406
Dialling codes 038372
Vehicle registration OVP

Usedom (also German: Stadt Usedom or Usedom Town) is a town on Usedom Island, in the Vorpommern-Greifswald district in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. It is the seat of the Amt Usedom-Süd, to which 14 other communities also belong.

The whole island of Usedom was named after the town in medieval times already.

Contents

  • Geography 1
    • Municipality subdivisions 1.1
  • History 2
  • Sightseeing 3

Geography

The town lies in the southeastern part of the island of Usedom, in the so-called Achterland, on the northwest shore of the Oder Lagoon (Oderhaff, Stettiner Haff). The town is bordered on the west and north by the Peenestrom, the aforesaid lagoon's western outlet to the Baltic Sea.

Municipality subdivisions

The following communities belong to the town of Usedom:
  • Gellenthin
  • Gneventhin
  • Karnin
  • Kölpin
  • Mönchow
  • Ostklüne
  • Paske
  • Usedom
  • Vossberg
  • Welzin
  • Westklüne
  • Wilhelmsfelde
  • Wilhelmshof
  • Zecherin

History

Stolpe Castle near Usedom Town

The region has been settled since Neolithic times, and from the 8th and 9th centuries by ancient Slavs, who built a castle on the hill now known as the Schloßberg. The town's name comes from the Slavic word "uznam", meaning river mouth. Early in the twelfth century, the place was destroyed by the Danes.

In 1128, the West Pomeranian Landtag adopted Christianity, and shortly thereafter, a Premonstratensian monastery, Usedom Abbey (also Grobe or Pudagla Abbey) was established in Usedom. In the thirteenth century, the German settlement of Usedom began as part of the eastern colonization (Ostsiedlung) in progress in many places at that time. On 23 December 1298, Usedom was granted town rights under Lübeck law.

The town burnt down twice in great fires in 1475 and 1688. After the Treaty of Stettin (1630) and the subsequent Peace of Westphalia (1648) and the Treaty of Stettin (1653), Usedom, along with all of Western Pomerania, became a Dominion of Sweden (Swedish Pomerania) until 1720, when it was acquired by Prussia. From 1720 to 1945, the town was Prussian. The town had a railway connection from 1876.

In 1934, at Karnin, a railway bridge, the Karnin Lift Bridge, was built, but it was destroyed in the Second World War. After the war, the town first belonged to the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern until East Germany abolished the Land system in 1952, whereafter it was in the Rostock region. At German reunification in 1990, Usedom once again found itself in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Sightseeing

Worth seeing in Usedom are the Anklamer Tor ("Anklam Gate"), St. Mary's (Marienkirche), the Schloßberg ("residence hill") with its memorial to the conversion to Christianity implemented by Otto of Bamberg in 1128, and the ruins of the Karnin Lift Bridge. Furthermore, the town's old railway station houses the nature park centre with very interesting displays about

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.