World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Viamão

Article Id: WHEBN0005857745
Reproduction Date:

Title: Viamão  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Autódromo Internacional de Tarumã, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul, Gravataí, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Viamão

City of Viamão
Flag of City of Viamão
Flag
Official seal of City of Viamão
Seal
Nickname(s): First Capital site of Rio Grande do Sul (Primeira Capital do Rio Grande do Sul)
Location in City of Viamão, Rio Grande do Sul
Location in City of Viamão, Rio Grande do Sul
City of Viamão is located in Brazil
City of Viamão
City of Viamão
Location in Brazil
Coordinates:
Country Brazil
Region South
State Rio Grande do Sul
Demonym viamonense
Founded September 14, 1741
Government
 • Mayor Vlaldir Bonatto (PSDB)
Area
 • Total 1,494.263 km2 (576.938 sq mi)
Elevation 9 m (30 ft)
Population (2010)
 • Total 239,384
 • Density 160.2/km2 (415/sq mi)
Time zone BRT (UTC-3)
 • Summer (DST) BRST (UTC-2)
Website viamao.rs.gov.br

Viamão is a city in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. In size it is the largest municipality in the metropolitan region of Porto Alegre and the seventh most populous in the state.

The origin of the name Viamão is controversial. The more common explanation is that atop the hills of the region it is possible to see the Guaíba River and its five inlets: Jacuí, Caí, Gravataí, Taquari and Rio dos Sinos, which form an open hand. This is said to have lent the city its name -from the phrase "Vi a mão," meaning, "I saw the hand."

History

In the 18th century the region of the modern state Rio Grande do Sul was a trade route between the cities Sorocaba and Colônia do Sacramento. Various colonists created cattle ranches and plantations here. In 1725, Cosme da Silveira, a member of Captain João de Magalhães' fleet, settled in the Viamão region. He was joined by Francisco Carvalho da Cunha in 1741, who created the Estância Grande site, where the church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Immaculate Conception) would be built. In 1747, the colony was declared a civil parish. With the Spanish invasion of 1766, it became necessary to install a government center for the captaincy. Viamão served as the seat of the governor until 1773. At that time, the seat was transferred to Porto dos Casais (which later became Porto Alegre). In 1880, Porto Alegre became its own separate municipality.

In 1889, with the advent of the Republic and the dissolution of the Municipal Chambers as an executive power, the city elected its first mayor, Lt.-Col. Tristão José de Fraga, who previously served as the president of the above-mentioned Municipal Chambers. The second mayor would be Col. Felisberto Luiz de Barcellos.

The economic importance of the region, for being the first cattle ranch, grew from the commerce and transport of dried meat (charque) and leather to Laguna and São Paulo. The three commercial routes at the time began where Viamão is located today. The main road, the Estrada Real ("Royal Road"), left the city and passed through Vacaria, Lages, Curitibanos, Papanduva, Rio Negro, Campo do Tenente, Lapa, Palmeira, Ponta Grossa, Castro, Piraí do Sul, Jaguariaiva, Itararé and arriving at Sorocaba. Another route was over the coastal regions until Laguna.

Recent mayors

Places of interest

[[File:Viamão-igreja-da-conceição1.jpg|thumb|left|200px|Church

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.