World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wolston Priory

Article Id: WHEBN0028786463
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wolston Priory  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of monastic houses in Warwickshire, Warmington Priory, Monks Kirby Priory, Studley Priory, Warwickshire, Wootton Wawen Priory
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wolston Priory

Wolston Priory was a Benedictine priory in Warwickshire, England. The earthwork remains of the priory are a Scheduled Ancient Monument. A present grade II* listed house is based on the remains of the rectory.

The priory was established between 1086 and 1194 on land granted by Hubert Boldran to the Benedictine Abbey of St-Pierre-sur-Dives in Sees, France. It was of a modest size and run down by 1388 and by 1394 was transferred to the Carthusians at Coventry. After the Dissolution it was purchased by Roger Wigston, who was probably responsible for the renovation of the rectory building as a dwelling house.

In this house, known now as Priory Farm, some of the Martin Marprelate tracts attacking the episcopacy of the Anglican Church were secretly printed in a cellar. The building remained in the Wigston family until Roger Wigston’s death in 1608, when the property was inherited by his grandson, Sir Peter Wentworth. Sold in the 18th century by the descendants of Fisher Wentworth, it was later acquired by the Wilcox family who retained it until circa 1926.

The house is built in red sandstone ashlar with a clay tiled roof and incorporates timber framing from the 16th century. A central two storey block with a tall gabled dormer is flanked by a three storey chamber block and west wing.

References

  • "Name: The Priory List entry Number: 1365082". English Heritage. Retrieved 30 September 2014. 

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.