World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wyszogród

Article Id: WHEBN0000982063
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wyszogród  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Płock County, Bzura, Masovian Voivodeship (1526–1795), Masovian Voivodeship, Przemysł II
Collection: Cities and Towns in Masovian Voivodeship, Płock County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wyszogród

Wyszogród
Castle hill
Castle hill
Coat of arms of Wyszogród
Coat of arms
Wyszogród is located in Poland
Wyszogród
Wyszogród
Coordinates:
Country  Poland
Voivodeship Masovian
County Płock
Gmina Wyszogród
Established 1065
Town rights 1398
Government
 • Mayor Henryk Klusiewicz
Area
 • Total 13.87 km2 (5.36 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Total 2,772
 • Density 200/km2 (520/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 09-450
Area code(s) +48 24
Car plates WPL
Website http://www.wyszogrod.pl


Wyszogród is a town in Poland, in Masovian Voivodeship, in Płock County, by the Vistula River. The population of Wyszogród was 2,793 in 2004.

History

The town of Wyszogród was an early Slavic settlement as early as the 10th century. In the 11th century it became fortified and started to act as a local centre of commerce. In the 12th century it became the seat of local castellany and soon it became one of the seats of the Dukes of Masovia. Relocated on Magdeburg Law in 1398, Wyszogród became one of the most important inland ports and centres of textile production in the area.

During The Deluge the town was pillaged and burnt by the Swedes. Several subsequent fires destroyed Wyszogród almost completely. After the Partitions of Poland in 1793 it was annexed by Prussia. In 1807 it was reconquered by the Duchy of Warsaw and after the fall of Napoleon Bonaparte in 1815 it was transferred to the Kingdom of Poland. At the end of 19th century Wyszogród again recovered.

During World War II, the town was heavily damaged during the course of the German Invasion of Poland in September, 1939. During the German occupation the Jewish population of the town perished in the Holocaust. There were several partisan groups operating both within the city and in the forests nearby. The town was rebuilt after the war, though its population did not recover to pre-war levels.

Attractions

  • The Holy Trinity Church (1773–1786)
  • Remnants of the Franciscan abbey
  • St. Mary of Angels Church (1408)
  • Monastery (1684)
  • Old Town market (18th and 19th centuries)

External links

  • Official town webpage
  • Wyszogród at www.jewishgen.org
  • Jewish Community in Wyszogród on Virtual Shtetl


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.