World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

West Qurna Field

Article Id: WHEBN0001027946
Reproduction Date:

Title: West Qurna Field  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Economy of Iraq, Energy in Iraq, Al-Qurnah, Lukoil, Coolanol
Collection: Exxonmobil, Exxonmobil Oil and Gas Fields, Lukoil, Lukoil Oil and Gas Fields, Oil Fields of Iraq, Statoil, Statoil Oil and Gas Fields
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

West Qurna Field

West Qurna
West Qurna Field is located in Iraq
West Qurna Field
Location of West Qurna
Country Iraq
Offshore/onshore onshore
Owner Iraq National Oil Company
Service contractors Exxon Mobil, Royal Dutch Shell, Lukoil, Statoil
Field history
Discovery 1973
Recoverable oil 43,000 million barrels (~5.9×10^9 t)

West Qurna (Arabic: غرب قرنة‎) is one of Iraq's largest oil fields, located north of Rumaila field, west of Basra. West Qurna is believed to hold 43 billion barrels (6.8×10^9 m3) of recoverable reserves.[1] The field was closed to Western firms due to years-long sanctions.[2]


  • Phases 1
    • West Qurna Phase I 1.1
    • West Qurna Phase II 1.2
    • Water-Injection Project 1.3
  • See also 2
  • References 3
  • External links 4


West Qurna Phase I

In November 2009, an Exxon Mobil - Shell joint venture won a $50 billion contract to develop the 9-billion-barrels (1.4×10^9 m3) West Qurna Phase I.[3] As per Iraqi Oil Ministry estimates, the project will require a $25 billion investment and another $25 billion in operating fees creating approximately 100,000 jobs in the underdeveloped southern region. ExxonMobil is set to increase the current production of 0.27 to 2.25 million barrels per day (43×10^3 to 358×10^3 m3/d) within seven years. The Iraqi government, in turn, will pay $1.90 per barrel produced by ExxonMobil-Shell alliance.[4]

West Qurna Phase II

In December 2009, Russia's Lukoil and Norway's Statoil were awarded the rights to develop the 12.88-billion-barrels (2.048×10^9 m3) West Qurna Phase II oil field. The Lukoil-Statoil alliance will receive $1.15 per barrel that they produce. In addition, they will work to raise output from West Qurna 2 to 120,000 barrels per day (19,000 m3/d) by 2012[5] and 1.8 million barrels per day (290,000 m3/d) over a period of 13 years.[6][7] In March 2012, Statoil sold its 18.75% stake in the field to Lukoil, giving the Russian firm a 75% stake, and leaving the Iraqi state oil company with 25%.[8]

Water-Injection Project

A new joint multi-billion dollar water-injection project will be awarded to operator ExxonMobil. The project includes construction of a plant which will help 6 major oil-field development projects by producing 10–12 million barrels (1,600,000–1,900,000 m3) of water per day. The alliance will include Shell, Eni SpA, Lukoil, CNPC and Petronas.[9]

See also


  1. ^
  2. ^
  3. ^
  4. ^
  5. ^
  6. ^
  7. ^
  8. ^
  9. ^

External links

  • U.S. Energy Information Administration Country Analysis Brief
  • Exxon-led group clinches Iraq's W.Qurna contract
  • Exxon, Shell Win Iraq's West Qurna Contract
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.