World Library  


Add to Book Shelf
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Book

The St. Johns Herald : Oct 1888

By Reed, H.

Click here to view

Book Id: WPLBN0003637184
Format Type: PDF eBook :
File Size:
Reproduction Date: 2015

Title: The St. Johns Herald : Oct 1888  
Author: Reed, H.
Volume:
Language: English
Subject: Newspapers, Arizona, Mormons
Collections: Historic Newspapers Collection, The St. Johns Herald
Historic
Publication Date:
1888
Publisher: H.Reed

Citation

APA MLA Chicago

H.Reed,. (1888). The St. Johns Herald : Oct 1888. Retrieved from http://www.ebooklibrary.org/


Description
Description: The St. Johns Herald was established as a weekly Republican newspaper in 1885, under the editorship of Henry Reed. It went through numerous editors over its lifespan. Even with their small staffs, the back-room operations of Arizona territorial newspapers did not always run smoothly. Whiskey in the print shop tended to be the culprit, and the Herald was no exception. In fact, the paper had to reduce the size of some of its issues because its printers had gotten thirsty. Cattle and sheep dominated the content in Arizona newspapers published in areas greatly influenced by the livestock industry. Patronage from organizations like the Southwestern Stock Association could even determine the choice of a paper’s masthead. The town of St. Johns was situated in cattle country and, as such, the Herald soon became known as a cattle paper. In 1903, the Herald consolidated with another St. Johns’ newspaper Snips to become Snips and the St. Johns Herald, with Eli S. Perkins of the Herald staying on as editor. Reamer Ling, who had edited the Herald from January to September 1900, took over as editor once more in 1905. That same year, Snips and the St. Johns Herald merged with the Apache News, becoming the St. Johns Herald and Apache News. Ling and O.E. Overson alternated editing and owning this paper until 1910 when George E. Waite took over as editor. On March 29, 1917, Waite changed the masthead back to the St. Johns Herald. Waite and his family edited and published the newspaper until 1938. On February 12, 1938, the St. Johns Herald and Apache News merged with the St. Johns Observer to become the St. Johns Herald-Observer. Isaac Barth edited the merged periodical until 1946. In March, Myrlan G. Brown purchased the Herald-Observer from Barth's estate and combined it with the Apache County Independent-News to become the Apache County Independent-News and Herald-Observer. The McNary Pine Knot Post was added to the merger in November of 1947, creating the sole newspaper published in Apache County at that time.

 

Click To View

Additional Books


  • History of Utah : Comprising Preliminary... Volume Vol. 1 (by )
  • Eventful Narratives : Designed for the I... 
  • Saturday Night Thoughts : a Series of Di... (by )
  • Corianton, a Nephite Story (by )
  • Dorian (by )
  • History of Utah : Comprising Preliminary... Volume Vol. 2 (by )
  • What It Means to Be a Mormon : Written f... (by )
  • History of Utah : Comprising Preliminary... Volume Vol. 3 (by )
  • Geschichte Des Deutschen Zeitungswesens ... Volume: 1-2 (by )
  • History of Utah : Comprising Preliminary... (by )
  • Poems, Religious, Historical, and Politi... Volume: 2 (by )
  • The Harp of Zion : a Collection of Poems... (by )
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.